03 October, 2012

Chubby Chicks, Revisited



Some Wild and Crazy Chicks!

Remember that I told you all that I so loved making a Chubby Chicks quilt that I knew that I would be making another?  Here at my blog, it's been the Chubby Chicks that have been the big winner for total blog page views.  I love that so many quilters out there have viewed my Chicks and I hope that they are as captivated by the Chubby Chicks as I am.  But there was one thing about the directions in the pattern instructions from Black Mountain Quilts that I did not feel so good about.

I envision a Chubby Chicks quilt as being used, being well loved and really used, and that means being laundered.  The pattern instructions directed us to cut out the chicks, add some Wonder Under to the backside, press it down to the block fabric, then add a blanket stitch all around.  I was not so very comfortable with the raw edge thing.  It just doesn't sit right with me.

So for this next Chubby Chicks quilt, and it has been in the works in my head since I sold my first Chubby Chicks quilt, I have found a way to turn that edge under without spending tons of time at it.

I am using Moda's "Good Fortune" line, by Kate Spain.  The colors and prints are to die for!  I picked up a charm pack and a green dragonfly print from the line to make the pinwheel and border blocks.



Moda "Good Fortune", by Kate Spain
I did a "Test Chick".  I traced the chick outline onto my fabric, then stitched it to some very lightweight fusible interfacing, with the fusible part being on the inside.  I trimmed fairly close to the stitching line, then clipped the tighter curves and cut a big "X" in the interfacing for turning.  I turned my chick right side out, then pressed it onto the white block fabric. Elizabeth (my Bernina 440QE) and I added the blanket stitch all around.  I have to say that I feel much better about having the raw edges contained and turned under before stitching down my chick.  No worries about the chicks  raveling and ending up with raggedy edges.  AND, by turning these edges under with the interfacing, I feel like there was less work involved than I did with the Wonder Under used in the pattern instructions. I am all for doing things the easy way, as long as the end result is the same or  EVEN BETTER than the original instructions.



A few days ago I did all of the cutting and started sewing.  I made all of the pinwheels in one day, then moved on to the chicks.

I traced the chick outline onto my fabric, then stitched it to some very lightweight fusible interfacing, with the fusible part being on the inside.  I stitched on the line....








and trimmed all around.  I made a few clips between the point of the tail and the head.












The next step was to cut the large "X" in the interfacing and turn the chick right side out.  I did all 25 chicks in one afternoon.








Here are the "Hatchling Chicks", all leg-less, eye-less and beak-less.








CHX on BLOX!

I'll be plugging away on these guys for a bit.  I will post photos as incubation continues.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I was actually doing mine the same but drawing the pattern onto the interfacing. I fond that my chick shrank and ended up making my template larger so that the chick would be correct size. I have not yet tried putting beaks on the chicks and wondered if you also did those the interfacing method. I just realized that your post is over a year old so will search your blog to see if you posted more on your technique. Again, thanks. Your first Chubby Chick quilt was adorable and I am certain that this one is as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Paula, I did not use the same method for the beaks on my chicks, too small of a piece, I thought. But I applied the beacks to the chicks with a bit of a light Wonder Under type product to keep them in the proper place as I stitched the blanket stitch around them. It might have actually been Wonder Under that I used, but honestly, I can't remember. Good luck with your chicks. This is still one of my most favorite quilts that I have made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another adorable quilt. I love your style. The chicks are very chic. :-)

    ReplyDelete